Key areas of my wide experience are as follows:
- Financial Institutions
- Crown Corporations
Quality Assurance Reviews (QARs) of Internal Audit Functions
- QARs done for: large banks, pension plans, mining companies, and telecommunication companies.
General Internal Auditing
- Established Internal Audit Departments for several clients including a federal crown corporation.
- Led several outsourced and co-sourced audits that covered governance, contracts, product development, manufacturing, procurement, sales, marketing, human resources, financial reporting, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, inventory, etc.
- Performed various complex, technical, operational, financial, and special audits.
- Streamlined and prepared Audit Committee reports.
- Presented to Audit Committees.
- Developed and maintained Internal Audit Manuals.
- Trained, developed, and mentored audit staff members.
- Researched and developed proposals.
- Streamlined internal auditing methodologies, tools, and templates.
- Spearheaded a Knowledge Management Initiative.
- Developed, built, and maintained an Internal Audit Library.
- Conceived and organized the annual joint IIA-Toronto/ICD Audit Committee Chair Roundtable to discuss current issues in governance and internal auditing.
Healthcare Internal Auditing and Consulting
- Spent six years as a Senior Internal Auditor and Management Consultant at two large hospitals in Ontario.
- Performed various healthcare operational internal auditing throughout these hospitals that resulted in significant cost savings.
- Compiled policy and procedure manuals for several functional areas to help in accreditation.
- Implemented a VISA Purchasing Card System for small-dollar-high-volume items for one large hospital.
Telecommunications Auditing (over 10 years)
- Performed access charges audits (biggest operating expense in a telecom company).
- Did technical audits of the network operating systems, switching, internet, and wireless areas.
- Carried out several financial and operational audits of the various business units.
- Performed revenue assurance audits that resulted in plugging leakages in revenue.
Financial Institution Experience (Over six years)
- Carried out various operational and financial audits in the Savings, Investments, Loans, Mortgages, Securities and Trust areas of National trust.
- Performed Treasury Audit including Foreign Exchange and Domestic Money Management.
- Performed reviews of risk management and capital markets models.
- Performed SWIFT Payments, Current Accounts, Vostro and Nostro Accounts, and Account Reconciliations of Global Operations Services.
Public Sector Experience
- Managed the Finance Department of a broadcasting entity (a crown corporation).
- Developed Corporate Policy and Procedure Manuals for two crown corporations.
- Trained internal auditing and senior management staff of several ministries in the government.
- Performed a strategic risk assessment for a federal crown corporation and a healthcare foundation in Ontario.
Institute of Internal Auditors Activities
- IIA member since 1987 and active with the IIA-Toronto and IIA Global ever since. Twice elected as President of IIA-Toronto and now an honourary member.
- Member of the Board of Research and Education Advisors of the IIA Global.
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Internal Auditor.
- Former member of the Internal Audit Committee of the Treasury Board Secretariat of the Government of Canada.
- Established an IIA Chapter in my native Guyana in 2000.